Time to Get Cray for Crawfish at Lady Luck!
Seafood season is here and the time is right for a crawfish boil! We love tasty shellfish here at Lady Luck® Vicksburg, and we're here to tell you all about it. Call 'em crawfish, crawdads or crayfish—we just call them delicious!
Whether you're a forever fan of crawfish or a beginner to good Southern eats, let us give you the basics about one of our most famous foods. Once you've brushed up on your crawfish knowledge, stop by our Backyard Crawfish Boil at Lady Luck Vicksburg every Sunday in March. We're happy to present a traditional crawfish boil with all of the comforts of home.
10 Fun Facts That You May Not Know About Crawfish
1. Crawfish are usually described as a Southern soul food dish. This could be because Louisiana was the first state to have an official crustacean in 1983, and they sure knew how to pick one by choosing the crawfish!
2. There are more than 500 species and subspecies of crawfish in the world. Most are right here in the United States. There are rarely any crawfish in Africa.
3. Australia calls the crawfish "the yabby." Australian crawfish can weigh up to eight pounds and grow up to 15.5 inches long.
4. Crawfish are unusual creatures. They have inner gills that allow them to live out of water and can even drown without exposure to oxygen. Crawfish are generally compared to lobsters because of this fact and their appearance.
5. There's a cave-dwelling type of crawfish that are colorless and have no eyes. Crawfish are generally reddish brown but some rare blue and white species have been spotted around the world.
6. After a crawfish boil, cooks can save the leftovers to make into unique meals like porridge and stews. Crawfish can be substitutions for crab when making dips and fillings.
7. There's a special technique to eating crawfish. Experts say to grasp by the body and twist to snap away the head. Peel away the shell and eat the meat from the body like you would with a shrimp. Some like to suck away the juice from the head but it's all up to you!
8. Crawfish can be eaten plain, with butter or with a variety of dips. Diners might prefer this traditional and zesty recipe.
CRAWFISH DIPPING SAUCE
Start to finish: 5 minutes
Makes: 2.5 cups
1 3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Prepare recipe a few hours before serving to give flavors time to mix. Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until ready.
9. The living crawfish generally moves slow but can flap their strong rear tail to protect themselves in case of danger. Crawfish also eat at night to escape predators.
10. Crawfish can be called mudbugs and river crabs. Crawfish generally live in shallow and mild water, making them especially easy to catch during the season!
The Basics of a Crawfish Boil
What you can expect from a crawfish boil is a party! At an informal boil, diners will arrive once the crawfish start to steam. Crawfish may be cooked with potatoes and sausages or feature the additions on the sides. Corn is generally served as a hearty side to the main course.
Diners typically eat crawfish standing up and discard the shells in a community bowl or trash can. You can order crawfish by the pound or in smaller servings to suit your appetite. Crawfish boils are a time for mingling and eating, and may be presented at a block party with live entertainment.
Read on to find out how we prepare our crawfish boil at Lady Luck Vicksburg! Now that you're an expert, we know you'll savor our special event.
Backyard Crawfish Boil at Lady Luck Vicksburg
Our Backyard Crawfish Boil pays attention to tradition here at Lady Luck Vicksburg. Enjoy our all-you-can-eat crawfish boil at Farmer's Pick Buffet® right on our property! We're offering this special service every Sunday in March while crawfish is in season.
Stop by from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. to enjoy a filling meal for just $16.99!* We know you'll love the taste of our delicious crawfish and sides. Farmer's Pick Buffet also offers lunch buffets and dinner buffets on Friday and Saturday nights featuring seafood with a discount for Gold, Platinum, and Millionaire members of our Fan Club®.
After filling up, join us at Lady Luck Vicksburg for a night of gaming and entertainment. We can't wait to have a bite with you!
*Disclaimer: tax and gratuity not included with buffet.Source: