Pig Out for National Pork Month
Pork, it’s pretty much one of the greatest meats ever. Pork is an amazing comfort food that can be enjoyed anytime of the day. Many love to eat bacon as a breakfast item, but it’s also super delicious to devour in the afternoons or evenings, particularly when topped over a juicy burger or sandwich. The mere smell of pork alone can make your mouth water. With so much to love about pork, we knew we had to pay homage to the pig for National Pork Month. Oh yes, there’s a National Pork Month, and Lady Luck® Vicksburg will be joining in the fun. Get ready ladies and gents, for the Big Pigout!
A Pork Love Affair
Pork is a national treasure, and rightly so. Pork is one of the most versatile meats to cook; it can be marinated, roasted, grilled, boiled, baked, fried, barbecued, and more! It is also high in protein and has many cuts that are low in fat, making it a perfect choice for those of us who are more health conscious. But everyone knows flavor is in the fat and pork has that too! Our love affair with pork really escalated with the rise of bacon, pork belly, and lardo in modern day cuisine. Is your mouth watering yet?
Everything’s Better with Bacon
There’s actually bacon mania happening, and it’s been going on for quite some time now. It refers to the passion that U.S. and Canadian bacon lovers have. The movement can be traced back to the 1980s and 1990s. The Internet has made it now an even better time than ever to be a bacon lover. There are literally thousands of unique bacon flavored recipes online to keep the most devoted bacon fan satisfied. We know you’re just chomping at the bit to taste what we have in store. Here are five fun bacon facts to hold you over.
- Bacon has been around for centuries, with the earliest known time being 1500 B.C. in China.
- There’s even bacon-flavored liquor, including beer, vodka and bourbon. We hear that Bacon Bloody Marys are particularly good!
- Bacon is almost as good as sex. A whopping 43 percent of people polled have stated they would rather have bacon than sex.
- Bacon makes you smarter. There’s a micronutrient found in pork called choline that can actually boost the intelligence of an unborn child.
- 70 percent of people favor bacon for breakfast. You guys probably already figured as much.
The Big Pigout
In honor of National Pork Month and our love for pork, we’ve created some mouthwatering pork-centric dishes of our own. Our lip-smacking barbecue will certainly get you high off the hog. We’ve got a variety of specials that feature all of your BBQ favorites. Take a look at what we’ve got cooked up.
- Otis & Henrys® Weekly Specials: A wide selection of barbecue dishes will be featured each week. They include:
- October 1 - 4: BBQ Brisket Po’boy: Mouthwatering beef brisket served on a po’boy bun with a side of coleslaw and choice of seasoned or sweet potato fries or zesty onion rings. $10.99
- October 5 - 11: BBQ Chicken Half Dinner: Juicy chicken half seasoned to perfection served with a side of coleslaw, garlic French bread and a choice of baked beans or corn on the cob. $11.99
- October 12 - 18: BBQ Baby Back Ribs: Succulent ribs seasoned to perfection served with a side of coleslaw, garlic French bread and a choice of baked beans or corn on the cob. $12.99
- October 19 - 25: BBQ Sausage Po’boy: Foot long sausage link drizzled with barbeque sauce served on a po’boy bun with a side of coleslaw and choice of seasoned or sweet potato fries or zesty onion rings. $10.99
- October 26 - 31: BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich: Tasty pulled pork served on a sourdough bun with a side of coleslaw and a choice of seasoned or sweet potato fries or zesty onion rings. $9.99
- River City Challenge Outdoor BBQ Event: This is a fun outdoor barbecue event held on Saturday, October 24 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. The event is hosted by Ameri Corps and Legion Post 3. Tickets are just $10, and guests can nosh on a variety of succulent pork barbecue dishes. The event will happen rain or shine! Get your tickets here.
We bet you can’t wait to take part in National Pork Month. Let us be your go to destination. We promise you won’t be disappointed. And for more divine swine fun, check out our Facebook and Twitter pages!